Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Shop Shelves: A closer look

I have had a few e-mail questions about the shelves in my shop. Folks have noticed that the bottom of each is unique. Well let's take a closer look:
The first shelf I built was to hold my driver. I always forget to charge the damn thing. With the shelf i have trained myself to look and charge every time I leave the shop. I also drilled a few holes to hold bits that I use regularly including my countersink, so that when I am assembling and holding something together I can reach for it easily. The other shelve are meant for screws and such but I have not gotten my smaller bins yet. The shelf also houses a surge strip for any hand tools i happen to be using just under the drill shelf.
The second shelf i customized to hold all of my Dremel bits. I hang my Dremel right next to it and use the flex-shaft to work with. It's nice to be able to reach out and pull out a bit for a fast switch.

Outside of that these shelves are 1x4 stock lust boxed out with a 1/4 inch channel cut with a dado blade down the interior of the sides and crosscuts for the shelves. I used 1/4 inch MDF for the shelves and back.

No comments: